Friday, May 13, 2016

Reading and Learning

1. Internet Resources

      Looking around my classroom, I am always astounded by the level of multi tasking that occurs with each new group of students. I've noticed that even though they think they are the masters of multitasking their productivity is often splintered and divided. I started my research with just searching on google with the search topic - what is a qr code and how do educators use them.


     A few of the pieces I read at first glance caught my interest. Monica Burns wrote an article for Edutopia, "Five Reasons I Love Using QR Codes in the Classroom" and I was immediately drawn to this article because of the hope I would learn something applicable for my class. Within the first few paragraphs, she clarified what qr code stands for - a quick response code - and clarified my understanding of her use of them in the classroom. Her students have a one-to-one ratio of electronics in the classroom, similar to Round Rock High school, and she uses them to have the students go to one specific website. I thought this was an interesting idea because sometimes students get distracted with gaming and other things on their computers, but if they had a smart phone it might be a way to keep them more engaged with the one site, as opposed to resorting to their natural multi-tasking habitat. Not only does using a qr code on a handout help her keep her students on task, she also explains that it helps with students frustration levels. I think that students who struggle with technology or have some learning disabilities could really benefit from this differentiation. Monica Burns also give a link to a website that is a QRCodeGenerator and has interesting design options.

    Similar to Monica Burns, London Jenks, a science teacher uses qr codes to generate learning and engagement in his classes. He has even created scavenger hunts where the students can find the codes around the building and check their answers as they work. He uses a different qr code generator called snapmyinfo which seems pretty straightforward and basic.

    Kelly Walsh author of, "25 Fun Ways to use QR Codes for Teaching and Learning" developed an entire list of innovative ways to  extensively make use of her classroom space to it's full potential. Walsh describes creating, "hotspots" in her classroom where students can scan a qr code for extended learning or differentiation. She also explains that they can be used to inform students of awards they have earned based on good behavior or classwork. Another one of her ideas is organizing your classroom library with qr codes to allow students to check out books.

After reading these sources, my interest in using qr codes was peaked. I realized that I could use them for many innovative purposes. Teachers can use qr codes for differentiation, inclusion support, going green, or scavenger hunts. My next step was to find teachers or students who were experienced qr code users.



cat computer working keyboard typing

No comments:

Post a Comment